Re: Child development and art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Thu, 09 Jul 1998 10:56:13 -0400

taylorh wrote:
> Still, It would be simplistic and naive to suggest that
> Anime was an innocent art form. Or that the respective
> positions of Japan and the US on violent entertainment
> were adequate explanations of the situations with respect
> to violence and traumatization in each country.

> -henry

Henry et al-
Obviously you don't know me if you think I'm ignorant about Japanese
animation. Needless to say I'm not mentioning Kurosawa etc. I'm not
exposing them to film. I am very familiar with not only the violence
in
animation but also the sexuality in all art forms.

Something must be said about a society ie.Japan-which can show
violence
and sex and still have a hold on their senses to not incorporate
them into their society. For instance you can walk the streets
reasonably safe at night. yet open affection and touching is not
custom.
On Asian films:
So when they are old enough I'd love them to see Kurosawa films,and
the more modern age "Taxing Woman","Green Papaya"," Tampopo",Pillow
Book" and "Shall we dance"as an appreciation of film Noir(Including
French,Spanish,German,Italian and Japanese etc.)
And when appropriate Akira
I will admit that one has seen Jackie Chan,Bruce Lee and some
Michelle
Yeoh,Chow Yun Fat,Jet Li and Sammo.
For now though Astroboy,Dragonball,kimba and Totoro are all fine
with me.
Those of you feel free to look at our web page and view Totoro and
other Japanese links. Or contact me for them.
sandra
http://home.fuse.net/astroboy