Re: Child development and art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
taylorh (taylorh)
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 08:54:46 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, John & Sandra Barrick wrote:

> Oh I agree. It amazes me what parents let their kids see. It can
> also be difficult to know what to censure at school. The other thing
> is I know I am very controlling in what I let my kids see. About the
> harshest they see are Japanese Animation which can be violent so we
> preview before hand.

Which is fascinating given the general passivity and lack of
violence in the street in Japanese society. Japanese are
rather horrified by the real violence they see in the US
in the homes and on the street.

We make our choices as to what is valuable and acceptable.

Still, It would be simplistic and naive to suggest that
Anime was an innocent art form. Or that the respective
positions of Japan and the US on violent entertainment
were adequate explanations of the situations with respect
to violence and traumatization in each country.

My best guess is that "violence" is a grab-bag
undifferentiated collection of qualities we
haven't yet begun to distinguish and that there
are qualities to the depiction of violence which
are toxic and others which are not.

-henry