Re: Child development and art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Tue, 07 Jul 1998 07:02:21 -0700

neal rosenblum wrote:

<snip>

> I am in the process of researching and writing a paper for the parents
> based on the theory that if a child is exposed to the naked body in a
> healthy way, using art as an example, they will develop a healthy
> perspective towards the body in general and theirs as well. <snip>
>
> During my research I ran across a warning against exposing children to
> nudity by Benjamin Spock and Dr. Joyce Brothers. Sorry to say but after
> studying the developmental stages of Piaget (and how egocentric children
> are at this age) their warning made sense. They mentioned that if
> children are exposed to adult/parent nudity they will develop childhood
> traumas because their body does not compare to what they see and it will
> be a blow to their self concept.

Neal,

I hesitate to mention Margaret Mead's research, as some of her work has
been dismissed as fabricated or "enhanced" by her personal views, but
wonder if her writings indicate how native children accept their parents'
nudity. Many tribes, until the missionaries covered them up, were mostly
naked. Remember all those National Geographic articles we carefully
studied as kids? I think most of us turned out okay.

The U.S. has such weird views on nudity, and the human body in general.
In Europe children are regularly exposed to nudity in art, advertising,
and at the beach. It's just a fact of life. Perhaps you can connect
with someone there via the Web to see how they handle it.

This sounds like interesting research. Will you be pubishing it?

Maggie