Re: PTO Art- Long Post

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Thu, 02 Jul 1998 20:31:46 -0400

At my son's school in Portland ,Oregon. The PTO ,as in public
schools sponsored the DBAE program. There were no art teachers in
Beaverton
where we lived. So a group af mothers started an Art Literacy
program,which used lessons based on DBAE structure. They had over
300 artists/cultures. Each school had it's own coordinator. Each
coordinator
had volunteers from her school which she trained and showed how to
do the lessons including demonstrations. We got the supplies/and
used schools and students supplies as well. We were allowed 6 boxes
a year(More if you were a public school). I usually ended up going
to my son's class weekly to teach a lesson,but usually the parents
in teams went to each class once a month. Each school was different
in establishing time frame/day. We started out with 1 hour and the
next year an hour and a half. The program encouraged us to add to
the boxes any samples, lesson, we had a notebook with
lessons/slides/samples/bulletin board folder/books etc.sometimes VHS
tapes. We checked them out and in from art Lit. We had a list to
go through and at the end of the list we would write our
likes,dislikes
about the lessons and also successes and things which needed
improvement.
One thing I added was a disposable camera to each box.That way we
could document and also use for yearbook. I used #03325 white
foldable boxes from Office Depot 6 for $4.25. and the 1 1/2" white
notebooks with C-Thru covers (to display Artist).I also had a
comment
sheet in each notebook to give others an idea how the class was for
those following. we would meet at the beginning of the month and at
the end to discuss and evaluate. Most of the Mothers weren't
artists. they still enjoyed it and became a valuable asset as soon
as they learned to be less critical of themselves and once I forbade
them to say "I can't draw" in front of the kids.It also helps to
have them watch you and other experienced people do a class. Also
teaming them that way.
Sorry for the long post.

Contact me if you want an easy DBAE guidelines outline.

Sandra

--
john barrick
Sandra Barrick