Re: artsednet-digest V2 #833

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ABRDR
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 07:41:40 EDT

In a message dated 7/1/98 11:41:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time, owner-artsednet-
digest.edu writes:

<< Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 16:13:51 -0700
From: mwhite (Maggie White)
Subject: And the bead goes on...

Well, guys, after taking one of those exhausting, quick-and-dirty weekend
classes for professional growth credit (traveling 360 miles round trip to
Phoenix), I find myself brain dead for ideas for my final project. We
have to write five interrelated lesson plans on multicultural art, _each
one_ with 12 components (curriculum concepts; how the lesson corresponds
with the visual art standards; lesson objectives; background info, etc.)

I've chosen BEADS as my unit, and so far have three lessons: the first is
the history of beads; the second on Japanese netsuke beads (their history
and then a hands-on project carving some); the third on millefiore beads
(history and then hands-on). I'm not used to dividing my units up into
such tiny increments! I thought for the fourth plan we'd do rolled-paper
beads and found-object beads--yeah, I know, this is getting to be a real
stretch.

Can any of you geniuses think up a good fifth lesson? I thought of maybe
having a bead market where the students would trade beads and then make
something with them, but not being a jewelry person myself I don't know
what to do with them other than string them, much less write a
12-component lesson plan on it. The lesson does not have to be like a
culminating activity for the whole unit, and doesn't even have to be the
last one.

BTW, this is for a HS level art history class, but I'll entertain any
ideas for any level.

How about making clay beads or using foreign money. The kind with the hole in
the middle? chinese money, especially hong kong money is easy to find because
they are changing their currancy and Prince Albert just doesn't go with the
main land china. I have been able to go to coin stores and look threw their
numerous collections of foreign money.
It is very cheap also. Perhaps if money is a problem you could tell your
students to pick up the coins.
Donna in Maine