beads

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
brenda jones (cfifly)
Wed, 01 Jul 1998 08:26:42 -0500

Maggie White wrote:

> Well, guys, after taking one of those exhausting, quick-and-dirty weekend
> classes for professional growth credit (traveling 360 miles round trip to
> Phoenix), I find myself brain dead for ideas for my final project. We
> have to write five interrelated lesson plans on multicultural art, _each
> one_ with 12 components (curriculum concepts; how the lesson corresponds
> with the visual art standards; lesson objectives; background info, etc.)
>
> I've chosen BEADS as my unit, and so far have three lessons: the first is
> the history of beads; the second on Japanese netsuke beads (their history
> and then a hands-on project carving some); the third on millefiore beads
> (history and then hands-on). I'm not used to dividing my units up into
> such tiny increments! I thought for the fourth plan we'd do rolled-paper
> beads and found-object beads--yeah, I know, this is getting to be a real
> stretch.
>
> Can any of you geniuses think up a good fifth lesson? I thought of maybe
> having a bead market where the students would trade beads and then make
> something with them, but not being a jewelry person myself I don't know
> what to do with them other than string them, much less write a
> 12-component lesson plan on it. The lesson does not have to be like a
> culminating activity for the whole unit, and doesn't even have to be the
> last one.
>
> BTW, this is for a HS level art history class, but I'll entertain any
> ideas for any level.
>
> THANKS!!
>
> Maggie

How about something on Liza Lou...she does interiors (kitchen) all
covered with tiny beads. They are life sized. I think she had some work
at the New Museum of Contemporary art. Really intricateIf you want the
students to "make" something, maybe they could do a miniature of an
interior important to them. As far as "history", I guess it would be
about contemporary uses of a traditional medium, like contemporary
quiltmaking. I think your ideas sound neat.
Brenda