Re: In response to henry

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Numo Jaeger and Michael Miller (jaegmil)
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 06:54:40 -0400

>Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 23:03:19 -0400
>To: henry <taylorh>
>From: Numo Jaeger and Michael Miller <jaegmil>
>Subject: Re: In response to henry
>
>Howdy!
>I wonder what the fields of art production expertise my other fellow
artsednet companions have?

>I started out my visual arts life in drawing and painting. I remember
carefully rendering a pear, then I ATE it. It made the drawing of the pear
much more real and valuable to me. I was hungry too.

>In art school I first learned gesture drawing. Broad, fast, loose lines
with pencil, charcoal and ink. The images filled the pages of 18 x 24 inch
newsprint pad. Pages and pages of scribbles. Music always in the background.
Then drawing the human body.

>Did we draw the human body so that we could delight in it's symmetry or did
we draw the human body so that some of us who had no choice but to continue
in the world of the arts would not fear being without clothes? Nakedness.

>Then I fell in love with clay. Was there enough clay? Spinning Earth. To
touch, to feel, to move, bend and manipulate this material in space. Endless
dances with clay bodies.

>Ceramics encompasses so many other disciplines with in it. Are any of the
art disciplines more valuable than another? What if the art student is a
kinetic learner? Perhaps the only way for that student to see is through his
fingers?

>Clay is sculpture and function, drawing and painting, alchemy, chemistry,
math, and geology...

>What am I now? First of all, I am working on being a good human being and
then I am a jill of many trades working on mastering a few, if I am lucky.
AGGGHHHH! There doesn't seem to be enough time.

>I was out in Concord, California today and the Oak trees splashed in random
spots on the golden hills were amazingly beautiful. They look so majestic
and powerful growing alone.