Re: Drawing realistically

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sandra Hildreth (shildret)
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 12:11:37 -0400

Robert Fromme wrote:
> >>I wonder what da Vinc would would have to
> >>say on this subject.
>
> Probably..... very little. Had he been educated in our contemporary
> educational system, he would have been identified as "gifted and talented"
> and encouraged to load up on science and math courses at the expense of his
> electives. Had he been a student in the Texas system where I teach, he may
> well have had no required visual art learning experiences beyond the sixth
> grade. On the upside, he would probably find employment working for NASA or
> the Defense Department where a team of assistants would give the products of
> his genius visual form via CAD workstations.

I agree - except I don't always think this is such a bad idea (to direct
the gifted and talented into careers other than the arts). I see a lot
of students who have artistic vision and talent, but no aspirations
about being an artist, so I do try to direct them into other careers. I
think it takes a lot of personal committment and dedication to be an
artist (which is maybe why I'm a teacher first and an artist second) and
I just don't think it's meant for every person who can skillfully wield
a pencil, paintbrush, or chisel. We need creative, visionary people in
every walk of life. I often tell students who are critical about
developing their drawing skills, if I had to have brain surgery, I'd
like a surgeon who could draw well, because that would indicate strong
hand/eye coordination and good perception!

--
Sandra Hildreth
C.L.A.S.S. (Cultural Literacy through Art & Social Studies)