Re: Planning Software

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sandra Hildreth (shildret)
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 12:11:03 -0400

Janet wrote:
> I finished my first year of teaching high school art (photography,
> commercial art and fundamentals of art) and survived. I will be teaching
> the same subjects next year, so I have been rethinking the lessons I
> used, what worked, how I could sequence things better, etc... I've
> accumulated many lists and am trying to organize it all. Can anyone
> recommend planning software to develop lesson plans/curriculum? If it
> has worked well for you, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

As an unorganized person, this is what has helped me the most in terms
of creating and organizing lesson plans and curriculum. Create a lesson
plan format you like, using any type of word processing or desktop
publishing software, and save it as stationery or a template. That way,
anytime you go to open it, it gives you the form as an untitled document
- you type in your lesson, save it with the name you want, and put it in
a folder for the specific course. I've ended up putting each of my high
school courses on a separte disk, which I keep in a portable file, as
well as a back-up copy on the hard drive of my computer. I keep all
lesson plans, curriculum units, teaching notes, hand-outs, exams, etc.
in these files. I used to take the portable file from home to school and
so forth for several years - now I email lessons back and forth. I'm
also switching to saving my back-up copy on Zip disks (100MB), with a
portable Zipdrive. I've basically done the same thing with a format for
curriculum units and complete curriculums. For these I use a desktop
publishing application, like Adobe PageMaker, because I like to set the
form up in several columns, with blanks for filling in objectives, etc.
So anytime I'm inspired to create something, I can just click open the
template and begin filling it in. I really doubt that there is a
comercial product avialable that would serve this purpose because we all
are too particular in terms of formats and organization and I personally
don't like being told how to do it!

--
Sandra Hildreth
C.L.A.S.S. (Cultural Literacy through Art & Social Studies)