Re: New Thread (digital photo)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
craig roland (rol1851.EDU)
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 18:11:42 -0500

I'd like to add another photographer to this thread:

>Deborah Gilbert wrote:

>> This sounds uncomfortably like the arguments used against accepting
>> photography as "valid" art. There was a time in the past when the mediums
>> available to artists were limited to those things which we could get dirty
>> using. Then time past and the camera emerged - do *you* want to tell
>> Eisenstadt that he isn't an artist? Now more time passes and the computer
>> has become a viable medium of artistic self expression - it would now be
>> possible for Eisenstadt to take his photos and run them through Photoshop
>> to come up with something entirely different- something that matches even
>> more , the creative vision in his mind. To quote my son - how you gonna
>> *tell* me, that ain't art?
>>
>> Deborah
>
>I would never tell Eisenstadt, Weston, or Adams they weren't artists,
>and believe me, they have the stains on their aprons to prove that
>photography is indeed a medium that you can sink your hands into. My
>question, in their pursuit of the pure form of photography, and the zone
>system, do YOU think they would have embraced computers. I don't
>believe they would have, but that is only my opinion.
>
>San D

Jerry Uelsmann, as you may know, is well known for his b & w photos which
are created by combining images from multiple negatives with different
enlargers in the darkroom. For several years, Adobe tried to get Jerry to
use Photoshop to do his work. (If you're familiar with Uelsmann's work,
you'll see the "obvious" connections.) He refused preferring to do the
work/image manipulation himself...the "old fashion" way. Recently, Adobe
was able to convince Jerry to go to the west coast and work in their
studios using Photoshop and some high-resolution printing techniques ( I
believe there were some financial incentives offered). Adobe now displays
Jerry's work with Photoshop on their web site. But, even though Jerry has
a Mac with all the trimmings in his studio--he seldom uses it. It's there
primarily for his kid's use. Jerry still prefers to crank out his images
using the techniques he took over 25 years to perfect.

Craig

CRAIG ROLAND. Associate Professor-Art Education.
Department of Art, FAC 302, University of Florida, Gainesville Florida.
32611-5801. (352) 392-9165 - Art Ed Office (352) 392-8453 - Fax
http://grove.ufl.edu/~rolandc/homepage.html