Re: New Thread

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (kprs)
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 17:08:07 -0700

Deborah Gilbert wrote:

> This sounds uncomfortably like the arguments used against accepting
> photography as "valid" art. There was a time in the past when the mediums
> available to artists were limited to those things which we could get dirty
> using. Then time past and the camera emerged - do *you* want to tell
> Eisenstadt that he isn't an artist? Now more time passes and the computer
> has become a viable medium of artistic self expression - it would now be
> possible for Eisenstadt to take his photos and run them through Photoshop
> to come up with something entirely different- something that matches even
> more , the creative vision in his mind. To quote my son - how you gonna
> *tell* me, that ain't art?
>
> Deborah

I would never tell Eisenstadt, Weston, or Adams they weren't artists,
and believe me, they have the stains on their aprons to prove that
photography is indeed a medium that you can sink your hands into. My
question, in their pursuit of the pure form of photography, and the zone
system, do YOU think they would have embraced computers. I don't
believe they would have, but that is only my opinion.

San D