Re: Multicultural art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Rachel Strawn (rastra)
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 11:25:52 +0000

Ginamal,

I think the key here is in your statement that you have your "students
reproduce work they have seen". I believe it is inappropriate for
students to reproduce "totem poles" because they are not
members of the culture that produced them. The students lack
the understanding of symbols, ceremonies, the context, that
surrounds these objects. Therefore, students should learn what they can
about why these things were made, how they were made, and how they
were used, displayed, or worn. Then, they can use a similar artistic
process and similar materials to make a similar object. In doing so,
students should keep in mind what they learned about the context of
the object, and think about similar ceremonies, rituals, events in their own
culture and base their own object on these.

Rachel Strawn

> From: Ginamal
> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 18:16:07 -0400 (EDT)
> To: artsednet
> Subject: Multicultural art

> I teach k-6 art. I include a lot of multicultural projects from all over the
> world which integrate well with classroom work. I have usually had my
> students reproduce work they have seen, such as totem poles. I have recently
> come across articles (namely one from NAEA) addressing this issue. The
> article suggests that to do so is to trivialize the culture and it is
> preferable to have the student make something based on this other culture but
> relevant to their own lives. I feel it depends what your goal is, and what
> grade level you are teaching. I would like some opinions on this and what
> experience others have had.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ginamal

Rachel Strawn, Educator