still about drawing realistically

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Rosa Juliusdottir (rojul)
Sun, 13 Jul 1997 11:19:50 GMT

Hi all. These discussions are getting so interesting that I cannot wait to
open my mail every day now! Diane, I think your writings are always so very
interesting and clever but I feel myself not quite agreeing with all of it
now. You wrote:
>I believe to think about art in the way you describe, Robert, reduces it to
>the level of a technician. When I think about art, I think about
>philosophical ideas, spiritualism and religion. I rarely focus on the
>means to the end, exclusively. Yes there must be a means to an end, but to
>focus on this aspect too much, squelches my motivation and leaves me with
>little energy and time to think about what I have that is important to say.
>I would rather focus on the what, rather than the how.
I think you cannot have one without the other. Yes, art cannot be about
nothing, obviously, but unless you have the means to say what you want with
your art then how will you say it.
>I can learn to draw, but if I have nothing important to say, what good is
>it? I see no value in training, but a great deal of value in education. I
>think it may be a matter of emphasis and balance. I would rather balance
>my scales on the side of meaning rather than the side of technical
>competence.
Can we really say that for all artists and therefor all art students it is
more valuable to put more emphasis on meaning rather than technical
competence? I think it will always be different for each individual and
therefor we have to teach so our students will have a choice. They should
have a good base in among other things the elements and principles of
design but certainly also many other things.
You also wrote:
>Perhaps learning to "see" is the requisite foundation and that there are
>many >different kinds of materials and art forms that can be used to help
>people "see." Then one must know how to manipulate these materials to be
>able to create whatever we "see" even if we only "see" it in our mind.
I do agree with you that >There is no doubt that media literacy will be an
important skill to have in the 21st century. < But I do hope it will not
replace drawing literacy. To me drawing literacy is as important for an
artist as literacy is for everyone. And I mean that just as a base, then
you can create your art anyway you want and this basic foundation will
always be more of a help than not.
Regards from the far north, Rosa