Re: content reading ideas in the Arts

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Lorena Nalin (nalin)
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 17:39:46 -0700 (MST)

I enjoy using the READING RAINBOW series of books and videos. Many of the
videos use visual art to express the theme. So even themes that seem
unrelated to art do include segments that work in my curriculum. Some that
I particularly like are "Mummies made in Egypt" (shows the Boston Fine Arts
Museum collection and conservation), "Liang and the Magic Paintbrush"
(shows Chinese master calligrapher), "Simon's Book" (show the process of
creating a book from idea to production printing) and "OPT: An Illusional
Tale" (shows many optical illusions).

I also love to introduce many of my Master artists with "Getting to Know
the World's Greatest Artists" series by Mike Venezia (Childrens Press,
Chicago - various artists). This comes in hardback and paperback. I often
look at the classroom teachers Troll or Arrow book club lists and can pick
up multiple copies occassionally for two dollars or so.

Lorena Nalin
Tucson, AZ