Re: drawing realistically

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Terry Barrett (barrett.8)
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 14:25:46 -0500

San D--

i like this monkey with a pencil, vs. an artist, vs. a human zerox machine.
actually, it would make a nice little aesthetics lesson to have kids think
about the similarities and differences about these metaphors or analogies.
have you tried such an activity?

terry

>Numo Jaeger and Michael Miller wrote:
>>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I was wondering what all of you thought about the value of drawing
>> realistically.
>>
>> Is it important to teach all high school art students to drawing
>>realistically?
>>
>> If so, why? If not, why not?
>>
>> - Numo
>
>This is an ongoing debate, but to put it quite simply, since drawing is
>a hand-eye thing, if we can render the nuances of reality, including
>values, proportion, and perspective in a way that is identifiable as
>"that piece of apple" as compared to just "another" apple, just imagine
>what we could do with the pictures in our minds. That, and all art
>schools want drawings from observation always seals my feelings on
>drawing from reality. Although I always stress the difference between a
>human xerox machine, an artist, and a monkey with a pencil. (excuse the
>philosophy reference)
>
>San D

Terry Barrett
Professor, Art Education