Re: drawing realistically

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (kprs)
Wed, 09 Jul 1997 01:12:55 -0700

Numo Jaeger and Michael Miller wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I was wondering what all of you thought about the value of drawing
> realistically.
>
> Is it important to teach all high school art students to drawing realistically?
>
> If so, why? If not, why not?
>
> - Numo

This is an ongoing debate, but to put it quite simply, since drawing is
a hand-eye thing, if we can render the nuances of reality, including
values, proportion, and perspective in a way that is identifiable as
"that piece of apple" as compared to just "another" apple, just imagine
what we could do with the pictures in our minds. That, and all art
schools want drawings from observation always seals my feelings on
drawing from reality. Although I always stress the difference between a
human xerox machine, an artist, and a monkey with a pencil. (excuse the
philosophy reference)

San D