Re: content reading ideas in the Arts

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
josh l pete (josh-kc)
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 09:02:11 -0500

I have used 2 books titled; "Art Through Children's Literature" and
"TLC" which features Caldecott award winning books. Several art
projects/lesson plans, famous artists that are similar, and the art
concept and techniques being used are presented that can be related to
childrens books. I have found both books to be very helpful. All of
the Caldecott books mentioned are available at the library, some with
cassettes.

I usually begin the unit by reading the Caldecott book to the class,
followed by a discussion of the art work in the book. Our school library
usually has these books for the students to check out. The students
gain an understanding how art can be used in a career. Most students are
eager to create their own masterpiece. I usually display the title of
the book along with the student art. I have received many comments from
parents and teachers. They are impressed that we are not trying to copy
the book but we are using the illustrator's technique.

"Art Through Children's Literature" 1994. from Teachers Ideas Press, P.O.
Box 6633, Englewood, CO 80155-6633, 1-800-237-6124

TLC10034 Copyright, Teaching & Learning Company, Carthage, IL 62321