RE:...theme of "immigration"

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Elizabeth Paul (epaul)
Thu, 03 Jul 1997 20:38:55 -0700

which I think is an incredibly rich idea, there's a great book of
photography called "A Nation of Strangers", published by the Museum of
Photographic Arts in San Diego. It is based on an exhibition they held
called Point of Entry which traveled to DC, Tucson, San Francisco, Rochester
NY, Miami, and Atlanta. The photos show in many poignant ways an incredibly
range of immigrant and immigration experiences and issues, beginning back
around the mid-1800s (with drawings and political posters) up to the
present. The book includes essays on immigration by Vicki Goldberg and
Arthur Ollman. Museum of Photographic Arts, 1649 El Prado, Balboa Park, San
Diego, CA [sorry, I don't have zip); 619-239-5262. ISBN 1-878062-03-4.

Through its powerful photos, this book might help in discussions about the
politics surrounding immigration from back in the time of the explorers to
present, about why people immigrate, what they go through often to try to
get to a better life somewhere else, etc. Other ideas might be to examine
the art works of artists who are/were immigrants and how their life
experiences related to immigration show themselves in the art work.

Good luck! -- Elizabeth Paul, Los Angeles