Re: real philosophy and fake philosophy

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
carla harwitt (charwitt.us)
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 11:51:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Dennis E. Fehr wrote:
> I am always surprised at how few of my beginning students understand the
> severity of gender and ethnic imbalance in traditional art histories. They
> live the experience, but they don't realize it. They see the imbalance as
> peripheral to their lives until philosophy makes plain that it is at the
> very heart of their experience as women OR men,

Denis, I agree with you and enjoyed your post. One doesn't always realize
that one is making an assumption until someone points it out. For me, the
effect of the gender imbalance did not really hit home until my Contracts
class in law school. As with so many other college and graduate courses,
we used a textbook that my professor had written. In his contracts book,
he used both he and she, interchangeably, as the neuter pronoun. The
first time I saw "she" used in this fashion (as in "A lawyer needs to know
the following for her law practice..."), it was a revelation. I felt so
included! I had never really understood how "he" as a neuter pronoun must
feel to men - so identifying - until I experienced "she" and "her" used in
the same fashion. It was eye-opening to the guys in the class too, they
told me.
--Carla in LA