Re: debate

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kathrine L Walker (klwalk)
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 08:49:12 -0500 (CDT)

I think the biggest argument for viewing the original is what gets lost
in a slide or print - the artists "fingerprint" A print or slide often
loses the subtelty of color - or the color may be completely wrong.
Impasto brushmarks may show up on a slide, but what about an artist who
uses less obvious brushwork? Have you ever compared the slide of a color
feild painter to the real thing? How about trying to tell a lithograph
from a drawing. Then there is the issue of size. Can you imagine a
child looking at a slide of a Rembrandt print? The real thing may
require a magnifying glass to see the details you can see in a slide - it
give you a whole new view on the expertise/skill of the artist.

If original artworks aren't available, I would certainly use
reproductions, but if at all possible, go for the real thing.

Kathrine Walker
Beach Museum of Art, Kansas State