DBAE

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sandra L. Eckert (seart)
Tue, 23 Jul 1996 21:13:29 -0400

Suzette,
I mix it up. Each medium I teach seems to warrant a different approach. I
must admit that my classes are more media driven, but that doesn't preclude
history and aesthetics, it is only the starting point. My introductions
always include art history and aesthetic response, (including criticism),and
both are used at that time as well as in the conclusion of the experience.
I also include at least one purely historical lesson per semester, sometimes
in the form of a straight history (no studio) lesson, sometimes in the form
of a challenge - a "scavenger hunt" with an art-history outline. Students
complete the requirements of the assignment, which include research
parameters, and sometimes specific time-period assignments, then present
their assignments orally. Their responses include media in the
presentation, but it is not the main show for this approach. I have to
admit to a habit of changing my approach every year. I try to be sensitive
to which approach the class will respond well to; each class is different.
As long as each element is a part of the lesson, and the skills and concepts
are taught, the balance of the lesson content may vary according to their
needs. It means more work for me, but I'm never bored! And I'm always
looking for ideas that work, which means constant change.
I know this doesn't help much in a concrete way, but there are SO MANY ways
to approach the subject matter...
Sandy