Re: ESL/Museum

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Patricia Moore (meadua)
Fri, 12 Jul 1996 09:38:12 -0400

Patience Young wrote:

> To Linda Grace Stephens and all on the artsnet, regarding ESL: The
> Detroit Institute of Arts (my old stomping grounds) has been
> developing a museum-based ESL curriculum with neighboring Wayne
> State University. It is based on using gallery discussion about art
> to build and develop vocabulary (what a great resource for
> description, etc.). Contact Isabela Basombrio in Education/DIA,
> at: ibasomb.edu
>
> -Patience Young, Stanford

The McMichael Canadian Art Collection has also developed an extensive
ESL museum program for formal education and community groups. Like the
DIA programs, the objectives of our programs are to build vocabulary,
but also to build museum literacy, and to explore issues of cultural
diversity and Canadian identity. These additional objectives are
particularly relevant for the McMichael, whose mission is to explore the
"evolving Canadian expression in the visual arts" in the context of the
metropolitan region of Toronto, Canada's most culturally diverse area
and home to many of our country's recent immigrants.

--
II*