Re: Eileen's teaching culture

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
EILEEN PRINCE (eprinc1)
Fri, 5 Jul 1996 19:57:15 -0500 (CDT)

>Date: Fri, 05 Jul 1996 19:52:22
>To: Kathrine L Walker <klwalk>
>From: EILEEN PRINCE <eprinc1>
>Subject: Re: Eileen's teaching culture
>
>At 01:07 PM 7/5/96 -0500, you wrote:
>>I have to agree with Eileen. Teaching children about other cultures
>>and HOW TO LOOK at other cultures sensitively is very important. I am
>>blond, blue-eyed and have been teaching about African Art and culture for
>>several years - even to African American kids in a 80% minority high
>>school. It is a sad, but I was the only one available to help them look
>>at this culture. I would love to have turned if over to someone who was
>>of the culture - as I would love to do with every culture I teach. But,
>>isn't it more important to develop the sensitivity and appreciation ...
>>if we don't, then what happens!
>>I have taken every opportunity to learn more, especially in situations
>>where I have access to a cultural group. I am not an expert, only someone
>>who is passionately interested in multicultural education. Some hints to
>>help: use the music, literature, etc., to the fullest extent. Give an
>>object multiple voices - your's with art history knowledge, someone else
>>with the cultural knowledge, your students with their knowledge of their
>>own lives and own meanings.
>>
>>Kathrine Walker,
>>Education Coordinator
>>Beach Museum of Art
>>
>>Dear Kathrine,
>
>Thanks for the feedback - I concur wholeheartedly! (As you can probably
tell, I feel strongly about this.) Since I agree we can't be "experts" on
every aspect of everything we teach, we seem to have two choices: do the
best we can (while always striving to do better) or don't do it at all. If
my students develop a general respect for the creative efforts of mankind
and a desire to learn more about ANYTHING we study, I'll feel pretty good
about the whole process.

>Eileen

  • Reply: Barbara Bridges: "Re: Eileen's teaching culture"