Re: ESL

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
leslie miller (zandee)
Wed, 3 Jul 1996 00:22:29 -0400 (EDT)

At 07:07 PM 7/2/96 -0500, Lindagrace Stephens wrote:
>I am taking some ESL classes after the encouragement of my administration.
>Does anyone one know of information specifically linking teaching ESL and
>art. I think this is different than teaching culture. Like myself many of
>you have students that are not English speaking- do you have seperate
>approaches of lesson plans for them- ??
>In my classes they watch and copy or apply what they see the others doing-
>generally discussion and class critics are difficult for them and we extend
>our waiting to reply time for this - girls find speaking out and the critic
>particularly difficult -probably because it is opposed to their first
>culture. For written material I accept whatever they are able to do either
>in English or their own language.
>
>I would very much appreciate any feed back on this topic.
>

>Yes,

I would love to see something on this subject, too. Our music teacher and I
have been quite bothered by the fact that our system thinks that non-English
speaking students can have a good educational experience in art and music
because they are "non-verbal" subjects. The students and we disagree. We
all have been asking for translators for three years. It's quite
frustrating, and now the ESL teachers are blaming us for not knowing how to
teach!

Soooooooooooo---any help would be greatfully appreciated.