[teacherartexchange] Inuit Art - Printmaking Site

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2012 - 08:35:19 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

Nice to see that Getty list is still functioning (Thanks for posting
your student art, Mike. VERY nice!).

I have a collection of links to share (suggestions in our Sunday comic
pages). thought I would start with this one from this past Sunday. I
need to check my list of the others to see if they are still active
(one I know is no longer on line).

Inuit Prints from Cape Dorset
http://www.civilization.ca/capedorsetprints/introduction/

From the site:
"The Canadian Museum of Civilization purchased its first contemporary
Inuit carvings in 1953. For more than 50 years, the Museum has
continuously supported contemporary Inuit art through an active and
evolving program of exhibiting, collecting, research and publishing.
The relationship between Inuit artists and the Museum continues today.

Printmaking was introduced in the Arctic in the late 1950s. The Museum
helped this new art flourish by acquiring complete annual collections
of Inuit prints, which formed the basis of exhibitions at home and
abroad...."

I did printmaking units with my middle school students inspired by
contemporary prints of the Inuit and North West Coast Native
Americans. This looks like a good source of information (many sites I
used are no longer on line - or URL's have changed).

For my friend, Ann - you will like this site. I know you are reading
(smile). When it comes to printmaking, you are a master!

Regards,

Judy Decker

P.S. Reminder to Getty members to remove email addresses of members in
your posts before you click "Send". All you have to do is scroll down
and see if your email program includes the address of the original
sender. Your extra efforts cut down on Spam we all receive. Fewer
email address for email bots to grab.... Although..... Getty has
stopped archiving posts (last posts to be archived were Dec 2011).
Hmmm.... Maybe they are doing us favor by not archiving them on their
site?