Re: [teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: July 24, 2011

---------

From: Katherine Purdy (kjp1627_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 25 2011 - 11:23:33 PDT

Hi Lynn and Rick and Susan,

I am really pleased to receive your emails!
I have received only a few thus far but I am hopeful that more will
see the post and want to become involved.
The Art show as of now is an idea that warrants collaboration with
other teachers to make it happen!

Lynn, I am curious about the kind of art you do and where you are
teaching? Rick, I teach over at Palms Middle School which is not too
far from where you teach at Palisades. This next year will be my tenth
year at Palms...and part of the reason for this show is to create
something positive for
teachers and their community within the doom and gloom atmosphere as
of late. Susan, thank you for your words of encouragement and ideas!

About me-I have a BFA in sculpture from Washington University in St.
Louis, and then I moved West to pursue experimental filmmaking.
I got a Masters degree from SFAI and since I started teaching, I have
switched to the medium of painting. I mostly paint family and friends-
sort of Pop Art style like Alex Katz.

My goal would be to have the show near the end of school next year-say
May or June 2012. Hopefully we can gather enough artist-teachers this
summer and get together within the next few weeks to share ideas. As
for a gallery space, my only idea right now is to pick the brain of my
brother in law who is the Director of New Media at KCET, because he
is affiliated with so many non profit arts organizations in his line
of work. Of course I would not want to approach those org's until we
had something really special to propose. There are also some cool art
galleries near me on York Street-I live in Mt. Washington-that I could
approach once our concept of the show has solidified.

Please share any thoughts and ideas you may have as we begin to craft
this show!

Best,
Kathy