RE: [teacherartexchange] Arts and Advocacy: Let's Stick Together

---------

From: Cheryl Lloyd (clloyd_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 02 2011 - 18:31:12 PDT

Judy, I completely agree with being an advocate. I feel like part of my responsibilities as a teacher of the arts is to become an advocate!

For new teachers here are some ways to become more involved:
-Like Judy said...VOTE! Your voice counts.
-Join your local Art Education Association and NAEA
-Join any local groups. I have been working with the California Alliance for Arts Education in my county for the past two years. We have drafted a Master Plan for revitalizing the arts in our community. We are in the first years. If you are interested in our plan: www.stancoe.org/scoe/iss/arts/master_plan.pdf<http://www.stancoe.org/scoe/iss/arts/master_plan.pdf>

If any of you are in CA and want to join your local group: http://www.artsed411.org/index.aspx

-Support your local art education groups like local performing groups and education classes at local galleries and junior colleges.

- AND the most important is advocating for your own program. Your kids of today will be the parents of tomorrow and will be the biggest voices for the programs that stay or go in schools.

Happy Advocating,

Cheri Lloyd
Ceres, CA