[teacherartexchange] An artist who makes art from ANYTHING - New York Times article - good stuff

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 01 2011 - 09:51:39 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

My apologies if you eventually get this twice. Getty list rejected my
post from Yahoo account - and it was in Plain Text....

You are going to LOVE this (well, we did anyways - hubby and I).
New York Times:

An Artist Who Makes Much Out of Very
Littlehttp://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/01/arts/design/b-wurtz-works-1970-2011-at-metro-pictures-gallery-review.html

If link doesn't work, you can get there from here:
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/arts/design/index.html

From the article:
>> The less-is-more tradition in American art is rich and varied. It stretches from the glorious frugalities of Shaker furniture and Amish quilts to the sleek orthodox Minimalism of Donald Judd’s box
sculptures and Agnes Martin’s horizontal-stripe paintings. And it also
accommodates the modest, plain-spoken sculptures and wall pieces of the
artist B. Wurtz.

At least check out the slide show....You might find your old LPs or
your tossed hula-hoop (chuckles).

“B. Wurtz: Works, 1970-2011” is on view through Aug. 5 at Metro
Pictures, 519 West 24th Street, Chelsea; http://www.metropicturesgallery.com/
There is even more shown on the web site (see current exhibitions)

Plug for MaryAnn Kohl - Elementary teachers will want to check out her
new book "Art with Anything". As you will see, art can be made with
anything! and "real artists" do it, too.

Regards,

Judy Decker