Re: [teacherartexchange] Let's stick together

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 01 2011 - 06:14:24 PDT

Jerry well said.  I to have been on this listserv and other eduction websites for years.  As an art teacher that works in a very small district without many fellow art teachers to bounce ideas off of the art education listservs have been a staff development life line.  It was through these listservs, my masters degree that I connected to my path of art advocacy.  It first started by "getting out" of my classroom, being actively involved in museum education programing, then working with in a quality "arts" education group, helping develop state art standards, then serving on my local art education association as YAM chair, that lead to the art education association president-elect/president position, that position lead to representing my state a the national level of NAEA in delegate assembly helping shape position statements that are "voiced" to federal and state educational agencies.  Being in a position to bend the ears of those that can influence
 the direction of Art Education of the 21st Century is all our responsibilities either at the grassroot level or on a National level.  As Jerry said we need to move our of our comfort zone, if we truly value what we do, the importance of it to the nations children we need to be active participants.  One thing I know, one thing that was even mentioned at our Western Region NAEA Conference recently, is that we need to tell our stories.  The stories of arts impact on your students, the life changing impacts, mixing in the research backed studies....the stories are the portraits the we need to present......the art work is pretty but the stories are eternal and touch the heart and can change policy.