[teacherartexchange] Valerie Bunnell - Mixed media artist (ceramic "dolls")

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 30 2010 - 09:25:55 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

I finally did it! I bought a piece from Valerie Bunnell - mixed media
artist. I love her work! I had admired it for 7 years (as this was her
7th year at Ann Arbor Art Fair.... and might be her last?). I will
have to look back in the archives to see if I posted her link in
summer 2003....

Check her site:
http://valeriebunnell.com/valerie/featured.php

I just know you can come up with a lesson inspired by her work. I wish
I had known about her work when I did a lesson with eighth graders on
ceramic figures many years ago (I used the Ancient Chinese Qin figures
- but with a modern twist - maybe back in 1997?).

Here is a photo of the one-of-a-kind dollie that I bought:
http://valeriebunnell.com/valerie/images/catalog/tinmen/_1000660.jpg
Her body is an "antique" typewriter ribbon tin. It opens to show her
heart - a glass bead.

She makes wonderful necklaces (little hands stamped with words and
embellished with beads) that are available in her art fair shows. I am
going to special order one for myself for Christmas (none of the ones
she had were perfect for me).

Sorry I didn't send out a reminder for this year's Ann Arbor Art Fair.
It is always the third full week in July - Wednesday through Saturday.
We went Wednesday this year and I am glad we did! My 2 main purchases
were both "one of a kind" - and probably wouldn't have been there had
we waited till Thursday. I also picked up a special order I had made
with a friend of mine. I like buying from him at the art fair, too. I
"commissioned" him to make some bowls to match some plates I had
purchased from him a couple of yeas ago.

Getty folks, as always, if you post a reply, remove my email address
before you click "Send".

Regards,

Judy Decker