Re:[teacherartexchange] Creativity Test

---------

From: Sue Stevens (suestevens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 30 2010 - 07:45:54 PDT

Days 2-3: Creativity Test. Each student is given a paper with 25 circles
drawn on it. The challenge is to draw as many different things using the
circles as possible, aiming for things that noone else will think of. At the
start of day 4, before they turn in the papers, we do a class survey of what
they came up with and how many other students drew the same thing. (We get
lots of lollipops, balloons, etc. but it is a good exercise to see how they
think).

I do something very similar....I have a circle sheet, and one sheet that is
all lines. To challenge the students to be more creative, I mark the sheet
(I actually use it a few weeks into the semester - as a transition from line
to shape) with 2 marks per section....and I give up to 2 bonus marks for
things that I've never ever seen before! This tends to encourage the
students to not copy off of each other. Also, because each shape gets a
mark, there's not 'double or tripple dipping' (trafic lights using 3 circles
for example would only be marked as one item, not three). It always amazes
me what the kids come up with....and I frequently award marks of 26/24 for
this exercise! For some kids, it really helps to boost marks also...and to
boost their own self esteem about thier artwork.