[teacherartexchange] scrap drywall/sheetrock

---------

From: Sue Stevens (suestevens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 30 2010 - 05:12:15 PDT

Hi all,
I'm looking for some advice......I'm having my basement finished right now,
and I have a feeling there will be a fair amount of scrap drywall
(sheetrock). I seem to remember that I read about a carving project that
could be done with that, using popsicle sticks to carve with.....maybe
Egyptian wall carving? I exxperimented this morning getting off the layers
of paper on one side, but that was a fair amount of work.....anyone know the
best way? Anyone know something different I could have the kids do with the
pieces? I doubt there's going to be a lot of large pieces - the bit I was
experimenting with is about 3 inches x 10 inches.....but who knows what
scrap they are going to produce. I teach highschool btw, and I was thinking
about the Egyptian thing for the Grade 9s, but I also teach a Grade 12 class
called "Non-traditional Media" that this might be good for..... If it's a
really cool project that needs larger pieces, I have no issue going and
buying a huge sheet of drywall and cutting it down.
Sue