RE: [teacherartexchange] Learning names K-5

---------

From: Holmgren (holmgren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 29 2010 - 15:10:01 PDT

Hi Mary Jane,

Sounds like you have a color coding system similar to mine. Kids end up
putting a folder inside a folder inside a folder! I have the class folders
color coded by day, also--ex. all the Day 1 folders are red, Day 2 folders
are yellow, etc. Last year, I made color coded name tags for the
students--with their name, and teacher's name--but I strung them with yarn,
and had them wear them. At the end of class, they put them into their
folder. Amazingly, not many got lost during the year. It really helped me
out---especially since I did TAB Choice last year, so kids were moving
around to different tables. It really helped me with quick assessments
during class (I had their names color coded on my class list)--I could find
their names on my list really quickly. I'm horrible with remembering names.

re. Table signs--Mine are always color coded, so I can refer to that if I
want--but I would choose a different artist for each table--my signs would
have a picture of the artist on one side, and one of their artworks on the
other. I do it differently now--since we are a Character Counts! School, I
have a different pillar of character as the sign for each table
(Trustworthiness, responsibility, etc.)--helps a lot with classroom
management, too.

Mary H.
k-2
MN