RE: [teacherartexchange] ideas for a rock n roll theme?

---------

From: 'Roy & Amy Broady' (amybroady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 29 2010 - 14:29:17 PDT

Hi, Jeryl!
I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet (but if someone did and I missed
it, please accept my apology):

What about something reminiscent of the iPod ads with the silhouetted
figure? I think Tricia Fuglestad may have used that theme in something she
did. Others, too, I'm sure. Great for teaching positive/negative shapes,
organic/biomorphic (contrasted with the geometric lines of the iPod itself).

Maybe one or more of your kids (student kids or your own "kids") could pose
and be traced (Or be photographed and enlarged) and you could do something
inside the silhouette--or leave it solid, and do something in the negative
space. Something life-sized would be fun--larger than life, maybe even!
Perhaps you could have mix-and-match instrument shapes (or keep it simple
and limited to the electric guitar) that the students could design and then
change the guitar (or whatever instrument) out periodically through the year
to highlight another student's (or group of students') work.

One of my colleagues used student silhouettes projected onto black roofing
paper for a truly striking color wheel project. A point within the
silhouette was used as the center of a color wheel...slice lines were drawn
from that point extending as far as the silhouette edge, and the wedges were
painted as a color wheel. If I remember correctly, at a certain distance
from the point, the colors were painted as tints, and then at another
distance, they were painted as shades.

Another colleague traced kids in poses on paper and took the life-size
figure tracings home for her husband to cut out of wood. We primed the wood
and did colorful tissue-paper collages on them. Except for one...that one we
painted black and used polymer clay tiles created by my students to fill in
the jacket and shoes. Let me see if I can find a photo to send you. (I may
have shown you this in Baltimore...does "Joseph-Elvis" ring a bell?)

Just jammin' ideas...can't wait to see what you come up with!
Amy in TN

P.S. you could interpret it a whole different way and put up petroglyphs!
What about Petroglyphs of rock musicians?! Don't forget to include
Kokopelli....
Ooooh, another idea: what about the symbolism of music--you could have
students do compositions that make use of musical notation motifs!