RE: [teacherartexchange] Rock and Roll theme

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 29 2010 - 07:14:40 PDT

I would like to see a lesson on designing and building rudimentary musical instruments:

cigar box banjos
flutes out of bottles and different water levels, or some kind of pan flute
clay whistles
rattles
tamborines
rain sticks
drums or any kind of percussion instruments, like zylophones out of different size rods of clay or some sort of wind chimey thing
thumb pianos

I used to teach gifted kids on a hs level many years ago. One assignment was to have them make instruments out of anything (basketballs bouncing and adding machines kachinging worked) and write a collective song and perform it. Rock and Roll is open to music of any kind really, it's the pulsating beat that defines it.

One of my clay classes build clay guitars (for display not use), and they were scaled down, but every kid really loved it. Slab construction, Amaco glazing with underglazing for details and Rub and Buff metalics for pegs, etc.

San D