RE: [teacherartexchange] Learning names K-5

---------

From: Cheryl Lloyd (clloyd_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 28 2010 - 08:43:44 PDT

Hi Fran,
I actually have the name tags that are folded paper that stand up like a tent. Just a 8 1/2 x 11 cut in half and then folded. I write my kinders names and have 1-5 write their own on the first day of class. I color code them for each class, just in case one gets misplaced. I quickly throw out the tags before each class and have my Master Artist pick them up at the end of class.

It may seem like a little extra work, but I always know who is missing from the tags and kids are constantly moving which helps prevent discipline issues in groups and provides opportunities to learn with new people every class period. But the best thing about it is that I am constantly looking at their name tags and matching it to their faces.

Oh, I also give out a prize at on the last class for the name tag that was the best taken care of throughout the year. It was amazing how many kids kept them nice all year.
Cheri Lloyd
Ceres, CA