[teacherartexchange] ArtEdOnline Update

---------

From: Diane Gregory (gregory.diane55_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 27 2010 - 12:25:05 PDT

Greetings Art Educators and Charter Members of ArtEdOnline!

The Charter Membership offer to ArtEdOnline is now officially closed. There are
somewhere between 250 to 300 Charter members. I never expected this kind of
fabulous support. Thanks so very much!

If you missed the opportunity to become a Charter Member, you can still sign up
for the free newsletter and be kept informed about the Grand Opening of Art Ed
online. If you want to sign up for the free newsletter just email me at:
gregory.diane55@yahoo.com.

Charter members will automatically receive a subscription to this free
newsletter, so it won't be necessary for Charter Members to subscribe to this.

If you are not a Charter Member, send me an email from your personal email
account with the phrase: Subscribe to ArtEdOnline Newsletter in the subject
heading. Please include your first and last name in your email and a brief
description of your professional background and anything else you want me to
know. I will then add you to the eNewsletter for ArtEdOnline list I am
creating. Of course, if you are a Charter Member, your name will be
automatically added to the list for the free ArtEdOnline Newsletter.

Now I am hard at work making plans and putting the site together. This is a one
woman operation at this point. I am entering all the names I have for Charter
Members into an email list. I have to enter each name one at a time. But this
is great since I will become even more familiar with each of you as I do this.
Many of you sent wonderful emails to me about who you are, your needs and your
many activities. Although creating the final email distribution will take me
awhile, it will be well worth the while. I hope to get this done within the
next two or three weeks, while preparing for the upcoming fall semester! Egads,
where does the time go!

Once I get the Charter Membership email distribution list created please look
forward to future emails from me. Until the site is up and ready, I plan to
send out a newsletter once in awhile with free information as a way to say
thanks! I hope you can use this information in your K-12 and/or higher
education art education classroom.

When I send emails to the Charter List and Newsletter subscribers, my email
address will be dianegregory@artedonline.com. That address is not yet set up,
but it will be soon. Once you start receiving the newsletter, I recommend that
you save the address in your list of contacts so that it does not end up in your
spam folder. I will also send out a notice via this list that the newsletter as
been sent, so you can check your email and/or spam to retrieve it.

Please pass this information along to your art teacher friends and colleagues by
forwarding this email to them!

In the mean time I will be hard at work creating the site I have described. As
you wait for the opening of ArtEdOnline I will be sending out a newsletter to
whet your appetite!

Here is a list of some of the topics that I will address regarding Great Tools
and Sites for the Art Teacher:

1. A terrific art teacher created web site with great activities related to the
Elements & Principles of Design
2. Web 2.0 interactive web sites by some of the great Museums and Organizations
that are now serving up great interactive free art education and art making
opportunites.
3. New free web based free art making software
5. Free web 2.0 web tool that allow art teachers to create creative art
presentations that are so much better than PowerPoint
6. How to use social learning and network technologies to promote your art
program and raise money for your program
7. Art Teacher Blog and web sites
8. Why you should create a WordPress blog

After the site becomes open I will expand the topics to cover a variety of
topics such as:

Top Ten Skills Art Teachers Need in the 21st Century
Books Every Art Teachers Should Read Now
What I Learned from the Mona Lisa and Starry Night
5 Ways to Transition to Student Centered Learning in the Art Classroom
Real World Discipline and Classroom Management Strategies for the Art Classroom
Is DBAE Dead?
The Use and Uselessness of the Elements and Principles of Design
What is Art Education? Are we having an Identity Crisis?
Online Learning: Coming to a High School Classroom Near You!
Strategies for Effective Interdisciplinary Art Lessons
What's the Big Idea?
Apple's iPad: The Perfect Tech tool for the Art Classroom
Integrating Technology into the Art Classroom to Improve Student Learning
What are the characteristics of an effective art teacher in the 21st Century
Best Art Educators I have known
Do you have to be a great artist to be a great art teacher?
Can Creativity be taught?
Is Art Only for the Gifted and Talented
Qualities of an Effective Art Lesson or Lesson Plan
Top Five Issues facing the Profession of Art Education
What should art teachers be able to know and be able to do

Topics will span: Social Justice, Global art education, visual culture,
creativity, advocacy, interdisciplinary art education, technology, multiple
intelligence, brain studies, how do students learn art best, assessment,
curriculum research, etc.

After this, I will be expanding the site still further to include review of
recommended books, information about online workshops, art teacher showcases,
lesson plans created by art teachers, reviews and discussions about articles in
School Arts, Art Education, Studies in Art Education, and more.

The site will unfold organically and with your input. Thanks again for your
support! I look forward to serving the Art Education community that has given
so much to me over the years.

Warmest Regards,

Diane

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams--Live the Life You've Imagined!
Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Dr. Diane C. Gregory
Associate Professor of Art Education
Director, Undergraduate & Graduate Studies in Art Education
dgregory@mail.twu.edu