RE:[teacherartexchange] Technology Question

---------

From: Ronda Sternhagen (rsternhagen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 27 2010 - 04:43:50 PDT

I also heartily recommend the Flip! I actually bought one for myself
as a "Happy MA Graduation" gift, and LOVE IT! I mainly use it as a
mom, and can easily carry it in my purse at all times.

So, why don't I use my Flip in the classroom? Well, I had originally
intended to, but the Industrial Technology teacher (who is in the
classroom next to me and our rooms are connected) and I wrote a grant
to get a Lumens "Lady Bug" projector to share. It connects to the LCD
projector on my ceiling and shows a live video feed of what I am
demonstrating. The coolest part is that I can record the
demonstrations or take still photos of what is below the document
camera! We are a school going to 1-to-1 computers in our HS in a few
weeks and I will be able to post the videos for students to watch as a
reteaching tool, or if they are absent to catch up, etc. I have a
6-part demonstration on weaving an iPod/mp3 player/cell phone case
created with the "Lady Bug" on my youtube channel (rsternhagen). This
was the first video demonstration I created. I edited the video and
added text, etc. in iMovie. Was it work? Sure, but now I have it to
use and use and reuse.

I also have a nifty piece of software on my Mac called SnapzPro. It
allows me to record my computer screen movements and my audio voice. I
played around with this a bit last school year in my Graphic Design
class in which I taught basic Photoshop skills. It was wonderful to
demonstrate different things, but then have the video available to the
students who "didn't get it" or were confused or lost to refer to
while I was giving personal attention to another student until I was
able to get to all who had questions, etc. In fact, 90% of the time
they had figured it out on their own by the time I got to them. It was
a true sense of empowerment for the students to know that they could
figure it out on their own.

Isn't technology amazing?

Ronda Sternhagen
President, Art Educators of Iowa
www.artedia.org

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.
::: Scott Adams :::