Re: [teacherartexchange] Ten Ways to Prepare for Student Teaching

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 26 2010 - 09:06:06 PDT

In our studio classes students learn by doing, then looking at what they did in order discover new learning. The same thing helps us learn to teach.

I have found that students benefit by making and studying videos of themselves teaching during their pre-student-teaching field work placements or from lab school teaching on campus. As they watch their own videos, they are asked to list things that are most successful and to list the discoveries of things they wish to change or improve before Student Teaching.

There are several kinds of situations that lend themselves to video documentation.

One video could be of them presenting an assignment.
One could be of them working one-on-one with students.
One could be leading a critique discussion (one-on-one and/or with a group).
One could be a short art history presentation and/or discussion.
One could be dealing with classroom organization and behavior situations.

Marvin
bartelart.com

PS: I would be thrilled to see more videos published by art teachers (and others) that show and explain good examples of teaching for creative thinking. This could fill a significant void in teacher preparation programs.