RE:[teacherartexchange] Ten Ways to Prepare for Student Teaching

---------

From: Ronda Sternhagen (rsternhagen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 26 2010 - 04:18:55 PDT

In addition to San D's amazing suggestions, I would add...

•Be prepared to work beyond the "contract" day. Good teaching doesn't
happen because you work 8-4, it happens because of all of the work you
do outside of 8-4. (It's unfortunate that this is the case, but it is
the reality...at least in my opinion. It drives my husband crazy that
I'm always working on something for school almost every night and all
summer long.)

•Be a sponge...soak up everything! (I always give my student teachers
a file crate and tell them on the first day that I expect it to be
FULL by the time they leave....go through my lesson files and copy
anything you want.)

•Find your "teacher voice"...don't be too meek, don't be too loud, but
use your tone of voice as clues to let your students know that things
are moving along great or not so great.

•Participate in everything your cooperating teacher does. Inservices
or professional development meetings may pertain to the future of the
school or something you are not interested in, but you need to
participate. You have a unique perspective and have much to offer to
the conversations, so do it! If your cooperating teacher is assigned
to sell tickets at the game or play, be there to sell with them.
That's part of most teacher assignments.

I'll keep thinking, I know there is more in my brain but it's not
willing to come out now. I'm having another student teacher first
thing this fall....I've usually had one into the school year instead
of first thing. This will be a new experience for me.

I'd love for you to share your article with our group when it is ready
to roll out, Diane! I would love to share it with student teachers
that I work with...with your permission to use it, of course.

Ronda Sternhagen
President, Art Educators of Iowa
www.artedia.org

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.
::: Scott Adams :::