RE: [teacherartexchange] Ten Ways to Prepare for Student Teaching

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 25 2010 - 12:18:45 PDT

Here's my list and not in any particular order:

1. Be open to suggestions from everyone including your cooperative teacher, and students.

2. Be as professional as you can (in order to garner respect from your school and students). That might mean you rethink your dressing styles and actually iron a shirt. Watch your language as well.

3. Retain your sense of humor.

4. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you do not understand something.

5. Remember that art educators are not doing "projects". Link your lessons. Actually map our your lessons and show your "curriculum map" to your cooperative teacher so that you can discuss the overall arch of your experience.

6. Make sure you know the basics, for example the principles and elements of design, your state's art standards, the school districts rules and regulations.

7. Do not try to be the students' best friend. They have plenty of BFF's already. Be firm, be consistent, and most of all, be FAIR.

8. Do NOT Facebook, Twitter, Email or phone students will you are student teaching.

9. Previsualize your experience. What I mean by that is we all dream of what kind of teacher we would be given the chance. This is your chance. Don't hold back, take educational calculated risks, but above all keep your cooperative teacher in the loop. No one likes surprises.

10. Make exemplars not so much to show your students, more for you to see if YOU can do what you are asking students to do, and to see how long it will take. I have been at many art teacher workshops where we were asked to do some drawing on the spot, and the blood drained out of all of the teachers' faces, as they realized all of a sudden that they had to perform and at an expected level. Well duh, that is what we ask students to do all of the time.

San D