Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: July 13, 2010

---------

From: Lois Girbino (lgirbino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 14 2010 - 06:55:43 PDT

Subject: Is your school teaching creativity?
 I saw the "Creativity Crisis" article and posted it into a wiki on
"Problem-Based Learning/21st Century Skills" that several teachers in
our district are collaborating on. We are reading 2 books, but the
really good one is "Powerful Learning" which presents a strong case
for problem-based learning in all subjects. Now, I think most art
teachers, if they are "worth their salt", explicitly teach creative
problem-solving as part of their curriculum (I try to). This past
year, though, our district technology team has been making a strong
push on technology skills for elementary students, and that has
included projects using pod casting, video-casting, blogs, robotic
teams, MIT Scratch teams, etc. I'm thrilled to see creative skill sets
being applied in the regular classrooms. I think there is a long way
to go, but this is a positive step in the right direction. Here's a
link to edutopia, with more information:
http://www.edutopia.org/inquiry-project-learning-research

Lois G.

Life is short, art is long...-Hippocrates