Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: July 04, 2010

---------

From: Lois Girbino (lgirbino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 05 2010 - 11:21:58 PDT

RE: art prompts

  Bunki brought up a great point, that artists often make art to
"express themselves".
  Here's what I wonder, why do "you make art?" I was a professional
artist for 14 years before becoming a teacher, and still make art
because 1) it's who I am; 2) I am happy when I am creating.
Professionally, I also 3) made a living at it... I also wonder if any
science classroom asks students why scientists perform experiments? Or
in English, why an author writes? ...Realistically, I do not think a
lot of my students will become full-time artists, but I hope they will
all strive to become creative thinkers. So, as Linda so eloquently put
it, "As we try to help students navigate and understand the world
around them, we can show them that art gives them a voice in a number
of arenas....personal or public....as well as aid in making meaning of
it all." Yet also, let's acknowledge that for some of us, making art
is just like breathing, and that teaching art is just like teaching
science/math/language/etc.--a way to foster conceptual learning not
just procedural learning.
Lois G.

--
Life is short, art is long...-Hippocrates