Re: [teacherartexchange] WSJ Article

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 04 2010 - 15:16:49 PDT

********************
On Jul 4, 2010, at 1:08 PM, go4art@juno.com wrote:

> I start the year with labels posted around the room:
> (these can vary and I intentionally leave out "express myself" as
> that seems to be the general, vague "go to" answer and I want to
> open up other thinking)
>
> convey a message
> elicit an emotion
> record an event
> tell a story
> illustrate every day life
> communicate a belief

Hi. I really like what you had to say (I really, really do)...but
personally...if I had to say why I do art, I would have to stand under
the sign that says "express myself". Not one of those other responses
would come even close. What would you offer me instead of "express
yourself" in this case? I understand why you don't allow this option
and it would certainly curtail discussion for sure but there must be
another avenue to offer for the desire to create abstractly to satisfy
a need.

Great thread, BTW, to open up more discussion. Toodles.....Bunki