Re: [teacherartexchange] book recommendation - Art History

---------

From: Diane Gregory (gregory.diane55_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 04 2010 - 14:12:29 PDT

Hi Mindy,

Several years ago I did a review on K-12 art textbooks and have watched the development of these things over time. The review was published in Art Education in the late 80s.

My favorite book for this age group is Art Talk by Rosalind Ragins. I am not sure, though, if it is still being published.
Even though the book is primarily for middle school, I have known several art teachers to use it for High School since many students do not come to an Art One class with much background in art content. At least this seems to be the case here in Texas...now that is a whole other story. :-)

Discovering Art seems too advanced for most students and very academic. I think it is a good resource book, though.

I am not sure if there are any eTextbooks for art...to me that would be the ideal solution. Ironically, Governor Perry is gun ho on etextbooks and since Texas is a Textbook adoption state, many states follow what Texas does for better or worse. So we might see more of this type of thing in the future.

If you are able to integrate technology into your art classroom using a student centered approach, I recommend that you get six iPads for your art classroom and use this as your textbook. If you want more information about my recommendation, please contact me off line.

Personally, there is a huge market out there for art teachers who want to start their own art education businesses. These days one can set up a commercial WordPress blog like a web site and offer online courses for others. This summer I am planning to launch my own commercial Art Education site. It will be called ArtEdOnline.com. It will offer a lot of free resources such as lesson plans, art activities, PDF handouts, blogs, and online workshops for art teachers, elementary classroom teachers, home schoolers, etc. I have tried going the traditional route of publishing, but as I near retirement (10 years out) I am launching this business to supplement my income since my retirement plan was so depleted because of the Great Recession. More about all of that later. :-) If you are interested please send me an email asking me to put you on my list for when the site becomes available. I am beginning to create a list now, so this would be a good time to
 send me an email at

gregory.diane55@yahoo.com.

I hope this helps,

Diane

Diane C. Gregory, Ph.D.
gregory.diane55@yahool.com
Associate Professor of Art Education
Director, Undergraduate & Graduate Studies in Art Education
Texas Woman's University

P.S. I have been teaching art education online for over 8 years now and plan to take my knowledge & experience doing this online in the very near future.

> Greetings Mindy,

There isn't any one book good for grades 7 through 12
> (in my opinion)
- and none that I know of that hold the students' attention
> (smile).
If you find one - do let everyone know.
The best way for younger
> students to learn art history is through
making art (but NOT copying the art
> of ancient cultures or world
cultures. Make studio lessons relevant to
> them).

For middle school, I had two books from Davis Publications (that
> are
no longer available). You might see about getting a sample copy of
> the
new Global Perspectives. The newer middle school books seem to
> have
more of a focus on studio art (suggested lessons).

You might also
> get a copy of Discovering Art History (from Davis) -
reading would be too
> advanced for 7th grade 0 but excellent for high
school.

Many list
> members use:
Art History (now in 3rd edition) by Marilyn Stokstad

> just discovered that this publication is also available in segments
- which
> might be ideal for
> you:
http://www.amazon.com/Art-History-Portable-Book-MyArtKit/dp/0205667260

Check
> Davis
> Publications:
http://www.davisart.com/Portal/Home/HomeDefault.aspx

Many
> schools use Art Talk (Glencoe- McGraw Hill) - which has some art
history -
> but maybe more of a studio text.

Hope this helps,

Judy
> Decker

Reminder: If any one posts a reply to this - remove my email
> address
before you click "send". See how I simply have "Mindy Moore
> wrote:"
below (her email address was removed).

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at