Re: [teacherartexchange] book recommendation - Art History

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 04 2010 - 13:47:23 PDT

Greetings Mindy,

There isn't any one book good for grades 7 through 12 (in my opinion)
- and none that I know of that hold the students' attention (smile).
If you find one - do let everyone know.
The best way for younger students to learn art history is through
making art (but NOT copying the art of ancient cultures or world
cultures. Make studio lessons relevant to them).

For middle school, I had two books from Davis Publications (that are
no longer available). You might see about getting a sample copy of the
new Global Perspectives. The newer middle school books seem to have
more of a focus on studio art (suggested lessons).

You might also get a copy of Discovering Art History (from Davis) -
reading would be too advanced for 7th grade 0 but excellent for high
school.

Many list members use:
Art History (now in 3rd edition) by Marilyn Stokstad

I just discovered that this publication is also available in segments
- which might be ideal for you:
http://www.amazon.com/Art-History-Portable-Book-MyArtKit/dp/0205667260

Check Davis Publications:
http://www.davisart.com/Portal/Home/HomeDefault.aspx

Many schools use Art Talk (Glencoe- McGraw Hill) - which has some art
history - but maybe more of a studio text.

Hope this helps,

Judy Decker

Reminder: If any one posts a reply to this - remove my email address
before you click "send". See how I simply have "Mindy Moore wrote:"
below (her email address was removed).