Re: [teacherartexchange] WSJ Article

---------

From: Barbara Marder (marder621_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 04 2010 - 10:50:24 PDT

Ever since the topic of the WSJ article came up, I have been giving more thought than ever to new approaches to my teaching art come September.

For more than ten years I had a unit I call Art and the Blues with my 8th grade. I make connections between blues music, lyrics especially, art and the African American experience. The culmination was a trip to the House of blues. Then the HOB in Cambridge closed for a few years, and that kind of knocked the wind out of my unit. This past year The new House of Blues opened in Boston right next to Fenway Park, and I was back in business. The overall theme was quilts as the art of expression, and I used Faith Ringgold as the motivating artist. I saw her at NAEA in new Orleans and got to talk to her a bit. What a lady! What an artist.

When we visited the House of Blues, we brought a quilt created by the 8th grade, and they displayed it in the lobby of the music hall.

Folk music and folk art are amazing areas to integrate with history and visual art topics.

I did see Bruce Springsteen when he had the Seeger sessions tour and had a great seat. I loved that concert-could have sat through it twice. But I also love the E Street Band and have been fortunate to have seats next to the stage when they were in Boston for the last tour.

One thing I love about Bruce is he does not become complacent-he continues to write new music and give credit to old timers before him and give attention to important social issues. You might say those are priorities for me too in my teaching:
-Write new curricula
-Remember masters of the past
-Make social issues important

All this and trying to sort through the relevance of current trends in the art world today-what has meaning for me and what does not. Here's where I find myself at a loss because I truthfully am not sure if I find meaning in many art exhibits I see. But that again is an area that can be an entire approach to teaching. In other words, perhaps broaching the subject to my (especially older grade 7 and 8) students and asking them to sort it out.

So I am working on a questionnaire that goes something like this
(looking at a variety of artwork-folk art, conceptual art, old master art)

1. What do you see here?
2. What is the message of the work?
3. Is there a message-does there HAVE to be a message?
4. What if we see only a message and not an artwork?
5. Does art making have to have any boundaries?
6. Where do we draw the line between message making and art-making?
7. Are the above-two necessarily related or can they be mutually exclusive?
8. How can we use our responses in what we create in my art program?

I am very eager to see the outcome of this approach but am interested in feedback.

Thanks,
Barbara from Boston