Re:[teacherartexchange] WSJ article

---------

From: Marcia Beckett (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 02 2010 - 09:40:28 PDT

I do agree with many of the points brought up in this discussion. Mainly I feel like the author is picking one aspect of art education (visual culture) and saying that every minute of art class is spent talking about things such as Build-a-Bear. I don't know of any art teacher who would spend the whole class talking about political issues rather than teaching art making. Politics and art do go hand in hand however. One of our units with the 4th-6th graders is editorial cartoons. They choose a political or social issue of their choice and make a cartoon about it. This is for a local editorial contest. We look at all sorts of editorial cartoons, but never do I say that this is the way you must think. The students are of course allowed to see varying points of view and see how various artists depict political issues. We do need to be very careful not to impose our viewpoint on the students as there are families from all political affiliations. I
 do also agree that this is a terrible time to be writing public articles criticizing art education, when schools are already cutting back so much on programs. I think it would have been better for this article to have run in an art ed. journal, not a newspaper for everyday citizens (because the article paints art ed. in a bad light).