Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: July 01, 2010

---------

From: Lois Girbino (lgirbino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 02 2010 - 07:41:07 PDT

RE: Art & Politics

  In elementary art, I focus a lot of time helping students to be
aware of their PROCESS. Also, the finished art should reflect some
INTENT. Now, I went to an art school where we had very rigorous studio
classes, and equally rigorous conceptual projects that we had to do.
The concrete/conceptual aspects really complimented each other! I try
to bring a little of that yin/yang into my lessons.
  I loved Woody's response & the performance art involving knitting,
but I would have a very hard time maintaining student "buy-in" at my
level without a finished product. I try to bring metacognitive
(thinking about their thinking) pieces into my teaching and the
student's learning, but I also see the self-esteem students gain when
their art is in a show, on a wall, or on my digital gallery. I love
conceptual art, it's all metacognitive and process...Social justice
issues come up all the time in any community, but I let the students
drive the discussion, the process (with my facilitation), and I'm
there sometimes just to give them an outlet for joy in an otherwise
strenuous school day.
Lois G.

--
Life is short, art is long...-Hippocrates