Re: [teacherartexchange] WSJ Article

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2010 - 13:00:12 PDT

Hmmm...

But the intention of this student was not to create something in order
to destroy it, so that wouldn't be conceptual art. And a conceptual
artist doesn't go into a project with the intention of making
something, make a mistake, and then destroy it. I think conceptual
art is something much more. Sometimes there is a work of art created,
and sometimes not, but often the action is the art, more than the
finished product, itself. The intent of the artist is the thing...
along with the reaction of those who are experiencing the act. A
painter intends to create a painting. A conceptual artist intends to
create an experience.

For instance, one of my friends is a conceptual artist. She recently
finished a long project entitled "necking," in which she and a few
other artists took turns knitting a huge scarf. They would sit
downtown in various locations with a long piece of yarn connecting
them (sometimes around a corner) and knit these pieces that would be
combined together.. The end result was a gargantuan knitted scarf,
several city blocks long, which was then taken back apart in the same
manner as part of the performance. So, there was no art produced, in
the end, but the experience was interesting, and it brought attention
to the beauty of the shared relationship between the knitters and the
act of working cooperatively to accomplish a goal.

In protest of a recent explosion near a MIC (same chemical responsible
for the Bhopal, India explosion in the '80's) containment unit, she
painted traffic cones black and put them around the city with the
letters "MIC" and skulls and crossbones on them. The cones were
painted black instead of left bright orange to represent the dangers
that are hidden from us by corporations who don't want us to know
about them. People in our city did not even know of the MIC (and the
lack of safety surrounding its storage) until the explosion that
almost released enough of it to kill us all. Her black safety cones
made a lot of people wonder what they represented, and in turn, the
media attention surrounding them taught people about the dangers of
MIC and how to get involved in groups working to get it moved away
from our city. In the end, the cones were used for other things, so
no art was produced. Most likely, people wouldn't call black traffic
cones art, anyway. But the experience of seeing them all over the
city was her intent, and like Christo's Saffron Gates, they were taken
down at the end of the project.

So would she not be considered an artist? I think she is a fantastic
artist and her art gets people thinking and talking about many social
issues, from our most basic human interactions to huge corporations
with lackadasical safety practices that may result in catastrophe.
And isn't that what all artists wish to do? To make people think, and
to question the world around us? To make us notice things we hadn't
thought of before? I think it takes just as much creativity to do
that conceptually as it does to create a tangible work of art.

What about other temporary or situational art?

Rebecca

--
Rebecca Burch,
Charleston Catholic High School